Search

Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

tissue rosette kissing balls


*Update–Many of you have had questions about how to “twist” the paper.  I have made a quick video showing you how.  You can find the video for how to make tissue flowers here:
Thanks everyone for all your sweet comments about my last Valentine’s day project…the“Be Mine” Framed Art. I had some requests for a tutorial on how I made the tissue paper rosette decor balls {kissing balls}. Well, lucky day, I had this post already scheduled to go! These tissue rosette balls are not my original idea.
Tissue-flowers
Many of you will remember that I have made these before and have them hanging in my daughter’s room. I followed a tutorial from Danielle Flanders, who initially created these, and which can be found here.   We also made the wooden box that I displayed the rosette balls in. I will share the tutorial for that in a future post. I actually made it a couple of months ago with this table saw from Sears Outlet.
Tissue-Rosette-Balls
First off you will need a couple of rolls of tissue paper streamers. You can find them many places in many colors. Mine were $1 each.  
Photobucket
Start by cutting the paper into strips about 24 inches long. Then crumple them up to make them softer {this part is optional, depends on what look you like–experiment}. Then fold the top 1/3 of it down so it is not as wide. {again…optional}  
Photobucket
Now take your strip and start on one end and begin rolling it up between your fingers.  
Photobucket
After you have a few rolls, continue to roll it up but now twist the paper.  
Photobucket
Now just continue to roll and twist until you have reached the end of the strip. I liked to add a drop of hot glue to the end so they did not unravel.
Tissue-flowers
After you have a few rosettes made, start gluing {I used a glue gun} them onto a round styrofoam ball. I used 2 and 3 inch ones to make them in different sizes. Just glue them close together and fit them in where they sit together nicely.  
Photobucket
On this particular rosette ball, I did not twist the paper. I did some both ways and like that they come out a bit different. Below is a picture of one that I rolled AND twisted the strip of paper. Does that make sense? Can you see a difference?  Photobucket
The fun thing is to just try different things. You will eventually find something that works for you and your taste preferences.
Photobucket
Pretty easy right? These are the perfect thing to do when you are snowed in and watching your favorite TV program or chic flick!
Photobucket
P.S. Many of you emailed me and asked how I made this felt rosette kissing ball. I made these last year and the tutorial for them can be found here. I was inspired to make these after making this heart wreath. And just in case some of you are wondering about the decorative snowball men…they can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment