Search

Translate

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Homemade Decorations: For Christmas, Birthday or Everyday

Post image for Homemade Decorations: For Christmas, Birthday or Everyday
I might be late to the party but I think I am in love with paper lanterns!  I recently purchased four 20cm white paper lanterns from an online party supplies store and thought Immy and I could have fun decorating them for the playroom.
homemade decorations
After all, creating for the home doesn’t just have to happen on canvas and involving children makes it extra special :)
homemade decorations
The first lantern Immy and I painted together with cotton buds and diluted food colouring. To stabilise each lantern as we decorated it, I sat it in an ice cream container, a large bowl would work just as well.
Our second lantern is decorated with strips of coloured tissue paper glued on with diluted PVA glue. This process was the most time consuming and delicate and would be a great way to involve older children.
The third lantern doesn’t look quite how I imagined it would but it was fun to make. We used a small cosmetic spray bottle to spray on diluted food colouring – yellow first and then an orange/red. A tip – the process was messy and so we took it outside!
homemade decorations
Finally, Immy helped me sort through a packet of self adhesive letters to find the letters we would need to make the words joy and peace.  These letters are very sticky and hard to manage so I stuck them onto the lantern while Immy experimented with some of the other letters and a piece of cardboard.

I love that you can decorate paper lanterns with all sorts of creative processes and to suit your chosen colour scheme, whether it be for Christmas, a birthday or a child’s bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment